Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Physical Catagorization or Racism?

I'm sure everyone knows about or has been following the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman fiasco, I'm also sure that everyone has they're own opinion and theory about it. As a bi-racial women in modern day America, race has been a sensitive subject for as long as I remember. Not a problem, per se, but a sensitive subject.

Yes, the case is devastating and the situation never should have been taken as far as it did. I can't speak on what should have happened to Zimmerman; whether he should have gotten second degree murder or manslaughter. What I can say is, after thinking long and hard about this case, I've came to my own conclusion. I think racism is on a decline. Crazy, huh? Here's why. No one has to agree with me, but I will ask to just think about it. I can't throw any fun facts about racism around, because that's not what I'm going for. I am in NO WAY. SHAPE. OR FORM dismissing racism, condoning or diluting it.

If I were to personify racism, I would describe racism as a human life cycle.

Think back to when racism (against blacks) began. The first thing that probably comes to mind is slavery. From when slaves were brought over, to the Civil War, to the freedom of slaves. When the slaves were brought to America, not Europe, slavery was a new idea. Representing the birth of a child. Yes, it was wrong but after a while it became normal.

Fast forward, to the Civil War. Whites realized slavery was wrong and fought for the freedom of slaves and in 1863, it was granted. Representing the adolescence and teen years. Time when you start to learn right from wrong.

On to the early 1900's. Racism was all about inferiority. The idea being whites were better than blacks. This is an idea past down to our grandparents. Not that our grandparents are racist but this idea was the cloud surrounding their livelihood, leading into the Civil Rights movement. Representing early twenties to mid life. This is when people start to develop their own ideas and opinions.

By now it's about.. early seventies, segregation is demolished. The fight was over. Blacks are finally able to do what whites can do. They can go to the same schools, use the same bathrooms, sit in the same restaurants and the list goes on and on. But now, it's all about stereotyping for both whites and blacks. Black people are lazy, thieves, uneducated blah blah blah. Whites are stereotyped as the ones who think this. Representing maturity/ fifties to sixties. Ideas are still new and thriving but they are suppressed due to maturity and change in the times.

Fast forward to now. I feel like racism today is mainly physical. Black and white. Being bi-racial, here's an example. Now if you look at me:


What do you see? Most would say that I'm black/ African American.Well, that's half right. Back in the day, mixed children with darker skin were considered to be black/African American. Especially if that child had a black/African American mother, which I do. Here's the difference, if I were to be thrown into an all black situation most likely full African Americans (women in particular) would notice that I am not completely black. The first thing they would notice is my skin tone. I'm by no means, fair skinned, but my skin isn't as dark as some African Americans. The second thing they would notice, is my hair. African American hair is usually thick, course and dry. My hair is a perfect combination of African American and White hair. White hair (not all) is usually thin, shiny and the scalp tends to get "greasy" fast. Which, is why they have to wash their hair more. My hair is course like black hair, but bouncy and shiny like white hair. It's not as dry as black hair but my scalp doesn't get "greasy" as quick and white hair. Making me being biracial make all the difference in my categorization.

On the reverse, look at this handsome stud here (my brother):


Now what do you see? Most would say a white man. Me and him have the same mother and father, but his skin is a lot lighter. If I quote what I said earlier "...back in the day, mixed children with darker skin were considered to be black/African American. Especially if you have a black/African American mother, which I do." What happens if this same mother has a white child? Is the child still considered black?

If he were to be thrown into an all black situation, it would be obvious that he's not completely black or black at all for that matter. He doesn't have dark skin, he doesn't have ANY typical black features. But, if he were to be thrown into an all white situation, it would quickly be apparent that he is not completely white. He doesn't have fair skin nor is his tan and regular "tan". Making him being bi-racial make all the difference in his categorization as well.

The point I'm trying to make is, the older generation is under the inferiority aspect of racism. The middle generation (our parents) are in the stereotypical aspect of racism. Now-a-days, racism in the younger generation is all physical categorization. Black is black. White is white. Hispanic is hispanic.

Racism is dwindling because the older generation is teaching us to not see color, but to see people. I think by the time I have children and my children have children that racism will be mainly dissolved if nonexistent.

Physical categorization, however, will never go away. It'll be there when we apply for jobs, schools and it'll be on test and the census. But, what we as a people need to work on resolving is physical characterization based on race. Stereotypes need to end; race cards to be thrown in the trash, rather than in peoples face. If we want racism to end, we need to start judging people by character rather than the color of skin. We need to see color as more of a minor detail like eye color rather than a major detail.

In all, racism ends with you.

Feel more than welcome to leave me your opinion whether it be for or against!

No comments:

Post a Comment